This route commences from the Plaza del Ingenio, situated at 290 metres above sea level, ( 30 S 0420162/ UTM 4072074). From the starting point we head west along Avda. Carlos Cano, a palm tree lined street that takes us 1km along its entirety where we find a roundabout and take the exit upwards towards the mountains in the direction of Torrox to reach our destination.
After having walked for 3kms along this mountain road we take a right onto a concrete track which is clearly marked “El Acebuchal and Pedregal”. It was the Pedregal that was used as a camp by Don Luis de Requesens, the head of the Christian army who, in 1569, succeeded in the expulsion of the remaining Moors that occupied the area in the famous battle of the rock.
Along this concrete track we border the national park amongst pine trees and working land and from where we can enjoy the privileged views across the Frigiliana countryside down to Nerja´s coast. Until our next turning we continue along this continuous but bearable climb.
We continue along this track without taking any turnings until we are 5.1 kms from Frigiliana where we find ourselves at a crossroads marked Los Cuatro Caminos, our highest point at 544 mtrs. It´s here where we turn right taking us further into the national park where, after a few metres, on our left, and in a deep hollow we can see the hamlet of Acebuchal whilst at the same time observing the peaks of the Cerro Lucero.
On the left we find the track that leads us directly to Acebuchal, hidden in a valley situated in the west, at 490 metres above sea level with the following coordinates, 30 S 0417534 / UTM 4075063. This small hamlet is part of the municipality of Cómpeta and was left uninhabited in post war 1949 and wasn´t inhabited again until reconstruction started in 1998 by the Garcia Sanchez family from Frigiliana.